Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Priestly Sacrifices

    Leviticus has been an instruction manual for the first nine chapters. It lists exactly how to sacrifice certain animals and what each sacrifice means. Chapter ten moves back into action. Aaron goes through the process of sacrificing to God on his behalf and on behalf of the people. Moses and Aaron have asked God to show his presence to the Israelites. They believe that if the people can see and feel the presence of God, they won't be as tempted to sin. Once Aaron completes the sacrificial rituals, God shows his glory and his presence with fire. He consumes the sacrifices, and the Israelites shout for joy.

    I don't sacrifice goats in my backyard, but this story is true to my heart anyway. I pray constantly to feel or see the presence of God. If I feel God with me, then I know I am on the right track. If God is guiding me, I am protected. My sacrifices come in different forms. We give our money to both church and charity. I spend time each morning praying and reading the Bible. Is it enough? Some days I feel that my sacrifice is adequate, some days I know I could have given more to God. I understand that the need for blood sacrifices was paid for by Jesus on the Cross. We don't need to slaughter animals anymore, but God is asking us give back anyway!

    During the day, when I am in the middle of my work or parenting duties, it is easy to lose focus on God. I will go hours at work, so busy that I don't think of anything except the task at hand. It is in these moments that I need the presence of God, but I have to be willing to make time for him to come to me. Sometimes the sacrifice God is asking of me is simply my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment