Sunday, May 8, 2011

Studying v. Following

Happ Mother's Day to all the mothers out there.  Our church service today focused on God's love being more powerful than the love of a mother. It is easy while sitting in church to believe the pastor's words and the words of the Bible.  It is more difficult when we step back into our daily life.

This has been a very hard week.  I have struggled at work because a new student joined my class and brought with him a horrible story.  His mother died less than two weeks ago, and he has moved back into his abusive father's house.  I am irritated with teachers around me who don't do their job well, and I am frustrated by students who don't care if they are successful in school or not.

Throughout these struggles, it was easy this week to lose sight of God.  It was easier to sleep in than get up and do this blog.  It was easier to eat brownies and go to bed than it was to get my work completed so I could focus on my writing assignments that have looming deadlines.  It was much easier to whine and complain than it was to pray about it all.

Today I read John 6.  Jesus makes it clear to his disciples that there is a huge difference in studying his teachings and actually believing and following them.  It is the difference in being a student of God or a disciple of God. 

Some feel like Sunday is the last day of the week, while others look at it as the first day.  I think of it as a day of renewal before the week ahead.  John 6 put me back on track today.  This week, no matter how difficult, I need to be a disciple, not just a student who can set aside their studies.

No comments:

Post a Comment