Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Book of Psalms

Because I am following a scripted plan, my books do not go in order.  After John, I begin Psalms.  I did a little research on the book of Psalms this morning before reading any of it.  I always assumed David was the author, but apparently there is a but of dispute over authorship.  It is now believed that David wrote many of them, but perhaps a group of authors, many unknown, wrote the rest.  It is also believed that David wrote Psalms that were probably carried down throughout the days of Moses. 

When I have more time I would like to look further into how different religions use the Psalms.  I found some information about it, but didn't read much.  It looks as if the Psalms have great importance with several groups, though, from Muslims to Christians, to Jewish and several other groups.

As I began to read Psalms 1-2 today, I remembered how much I enjoyed them.  I have a friend who read one everyday.  Often she comes and tells me a verse that touched her that day. 

I think the draw of the Psalms is timeless.  The word Psalms, translated, means praises.  I spend more time in prayer to God than I do praising him.  This book offers a way to praise God on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment