Monday, May 23, 2011

Believing Without Seeing

It seems the passage that speaks to me more shifts between the Old Testament readings and the New Testament.  When I began reading the Book of John, I was not excited to read another Gospel.  I didn't want the same stories over again, but I find my thoughts drawn toward the teachings of Jesus and events of his life.  Before I continue with John, let me update the Old Testament.

Today I began Leviticus.  The name implies this book is directed or written for the Levites, but it is actually the code for the priests.  That only counts for part of the Levites.  Very little is directed toward all of the them.  Like Genesis and Exodus, this was written by Moses and dictated by God.  This book became the law for the priests of the Jewish faith for years. 

As I read through the first chapter, I couldn't help but think how glad I am that we don't have to sacrifice animals to God.  The descriptions are gruesome!
Back to John!  Today's passage, chapter 20, tells of the Resurrection.  The verse that sticks out is this:
29 Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

Jesus says this to Thomas because Thomas refused to believe Jesus was alive until he put his fingers in the nail wounds of Jesus's hands. 

It is easy for me to lose my focus on Christ until something happens to reaffirm my belief.  Seeing and act of God always pulls me back into a tighter relationship with Him.  I find myself in Thomas's shoes rejecting the voice of God until I am faced with evidence of Him in my life. 

Today I pray to believe without needing to see it first!

No comments:

Post a Comment