Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Great Endings

As a beginning writer, I am just learning the craft.  As a writing teacher, I have tried to divide the major components of writing into categories that can be taught in a meaningful order.  One of the first things I teach is how to create a beginning and an ending to your story.  When fifth graders develop their ideas, it is usually the middle that they think of first.  They need help figuring out how to create a beginning that catches your attention.  Next, we work on how to create an ending that wraps up their story leaving the reader with a feeling that the plot was satisfied. 

John was a master of beginnings and endings.  He chose not to begin with the birth of Christ, but the first chapter of John grabs the reader into the story of the ministry of Christ.  The ending of chapter 21 struck me as a fantastic ending.  He is clearly speaking to the reader.
 25 Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.
Isn’t that a great ending for the beginning of my day?!

No comments:

Post a Comment