Sunday, May 15, 2011

Long Weekend!

Good evening!  This has been a long weekend!  I had trouble posting this weekend, so here is what I wrote Friday and Saturday.  I am very sorry that this covers two days worth of reading at one time.  I am even sorrier, that I did not read in my Bible today beyond what I read during church services this morning.

Friday:

Holy Cow!!  A saying that pops up from time to time in conversation popped into my mind while reading Exodus 32.  I haven't written too much from the Old Testament the past few days.  My focus has been on John, but today I read of Moses returning to camp after receiving the tablets from God.  I read this story as a kid.  I knew he would return to craziness.  I even remember the golden calf.  I did NOT remember that it was Aaron who made the calf.  I also didn't remember Moses grinding it up and forcing the people to drink water mixed with the dust from the calf.  Then, he orders the Levites to go through the camp killing people.  About three thousand were killed that day!  Moses was one tough cookie!  He must of led like a militant!

As much as this caught my attention, I can't ignore John 11.  This is the chapter in which Jesus raises Lazarus.  This is a beautiful chapter in the Bible showing the great compassion of Christ.
 Saturday:
Yesterday I wrote mostly about Moses and the crazy antics of the Israelites who just couldn't understand they had to follow the rules of God.  Despite their sin, Moses reasons with God and is blessed repeatedly.  In Exodus 33, Moses begs God to allow him to feel God's presence.  He wants to know that God is with him always.  How often to we pray to feel the presence of God in our lives?!  I read a book recently that explained how we could feel the love and glory of God in those around us.  Many of us who are blessed with strong marriages can feel a bit of God's love in the love of a spouse.  We can feel God's glory in relationships with friends.  There are many days when I need a pick-me-up from God, and he will send it in the form of a friend or a comment from a student or co-worker.  That is the presence of God!

No comments:

Post a Comment