Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Lament and Rejoice: More from the Psalms

    I don't know for sure who wrote Psalm 13, but whoever it was, David or a team of songwriters, they must have been in pain. They begin by crying out to God for relief and for God's presence to be felt. Then it ends with thanksgiving for all the blessings they have in their life. The Psalms are beginning to read like a rollercoaster of emotion!

    Psalm 14 takes a different angle. It sounds almost angry! The author, probably David or it was written for David, is protesting the evil around him. He is upset the evil-doers are overtaking his men. He writes that God is with the righteous and will be a safe haven for those that are good. Basically, one day the evil ones will get what's coming to them.

    Not too far from here a police officer killed his ex-wife. During the chase that ensued, he shot a State Trooper. My husband and I were discussing what it would take to make one of us want to kill someone. I can't imagine that much anger welling up inside of me. Anger like that is all-consuming. We agreed that he COULD get the death penalty for this, but a stay in prison may be hellacious torture because he was a police officer.

    It isn't my job to judge others here on Earth. I know that the Day of Judgment is coming soon enough. I imagine David felt this way too. Psalm 14 ends by saying that one day God will restore the people of Israel. It doesn't matter what good or what evil dwells here on Earth. One day the lamenting will end, and only rejoicing will be heard.


 

****I also read Leviticus 11-12 this morning. I find it fascinating that God delivered such detailed regulations about what animals could or could not be eaten. I would love to know why God made these rules and why they are not followed so much anymore. I know very little about Kosher cooking, but I know not all Jewish people follow these beliefs. Perhaps this is another topic I need to research!

No comments:

Post a Comment