Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Lord Is My Shepherd

    Folks, yesterday was a BAD day. I was "attacked" by a very upset parent. Not physically, she wrote a scathing email. Actually, she wrote several. The list of issues dates back months. I know I am a good teacher. I try to do what is fair for my students. I try to please parents, but that is a secondary goal only. The kids are put first in my decisions and my actions. As grade level leader, many of the decisions we made this year as a team were mine, or I will take blame for them. I despise being asked to justify my decisions and actions, especially once the school year is over.

    I had a hard time sleeping last night, because I knew I was walking back into a storm today. I got up feeling angry and full of anxiety. I prayed, before I opened my book, that God would send comfort. I prayed for strength today and grace to say helpful and not hurtful words.

    I turned to my sheet of readings for today and saw Psalm 23. My heart skipped a beat, and I opened to the following beautiful passage that brings comfort to so many.

Psalm 23

New International Version (NIV)

A psalm of David.

 1 The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
 3 he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
   for his name's sake.
4 Even though I walk
   through the darkest valley,[a]

I will fear no evil,
   for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
   they comfort me.

 5 You prepare a table before me
   in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
   my cup overflows.
6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me
   all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
   forever.

    I don't have a choice but to go to work today and sort through the lists of allegations. I will have to work with my principal to settle matters and leave this angry mother something that makes her feel as if she won because we still have another child of hers in our school. I know I will be attacked further today. BUT! I know have words to hold in my heart. The knowledge that MY Lord will give me rest, that he guides my heart and my words, that he refreshes my soul, is all I need to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment