Thursday, June 16, 2011

Father’s Day

    It seems like the past few years have redefined Father's Day in our house. Several years ago, my husband and I focused on our own fathers. We would travel, each our separate way, to see our Dads on their special day. Then we had our son.

    The first year we tried to see both of our Dads so our little baby boy could celebrate with both Grandfathers and his own Dad. We quickly realized that we too crazy of a plan. The travel was just too much!

    We decided that Father's Day would be celebrated in our home. We would try to get together with our own fathers another time around the holiday.

    So this year, as Father's Day approaches, I have found a new meaning to the holiday. Because our son is now two, he spends the first part of his morning watching cartoons while I get things together to breakfast. This morning, several of his favorite shows were advertising their Father's Day episode. From a child's perspective, the fathers on the show were caring, loving, and always watching, even from a distance.

    As Devon watched TV, I was reading Psalm 32 and realized just how "father-like" God is to me. I always know he is watching over me. He is always hoping for the best for me. He guides me when I am lost, and he comforts me when I am down.

    This year, perhaps our family will focus more on our relationships with our Heavenly Father on Father's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment