Saturday, June 11, 2011

Waiting…

    My least favorite days are the ones when I rush around so I can sit and wait later. Let me explain what I mean. Some mornings I rush around to get everyone out the door so I can get to a meeting, only to have to wait for others when the meeting is supposed to start. Another example is rushing to get an assignment finished, and then having to wait for someone else's part. I feel angry that I work so hard to have to wait for other people. These instances put a bad taste in my mouth for waiting.

    Having said that, we are asked to wait on the Lord. What does this mean? Here are two of my interpretations. First of all, waiting on the Lord could mean serving the Lord. The word wait is, after all, the root of waitress. Secondly, we must wait for God's timing. Rushing around doesn't get us anywhere if we are not aligned with God's timing.

    Both commands are difficult. We must humble ourselves to serve God, not always an easy feat. We must be patient and listen to God's instructions, also not easy.

The Bible makes several points clear to us. God's love and grace will never fail. God never promised us an easy life. As impatient as we are, we don't have a choice. So what do we do while we wait?

Yesterday was my first true day off from school for the summer. During my time of waiting I took my son to the pool. I spent time discussing vacation plans with my husband. I grilled kebobs for dinner. Finally, I sat down and SAVORED my strawberry cheesecake after dinner. While I wait for my next goal and my next set of directions, I will enjoy my summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment