Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Cleanliness

    My grandmother once told me that, "Cleanliness was next to Godliness." She probably said it when I was terribly dirty, which was often as a kid growing up on a farm. If she were living today, she would probably say it about my house. As the school year closes, my house takes backseat to my classroom.

    The past few chapters of Leviticus have been laws regarding how to stay clean. It is easy to forget, when reading, that this was the voice of God speaking to Moses. It sounds more like a modern day doctor explaining how to prevent illness. Without modern medicine, these laws are probably what sustained the Israelites in the desert for so long. Otherwise, disease and plague may have overtaken them.

    Today, while I clean away the papers and dust accumulated throughout this school year, I will wipe away any trace of this year's class except their class picture added to my board. I will prepare my classroom for the custodial staff to wax the floor by boxing up my belongings until August. Today's purging helps clear the room and lets it lie dormant until a new year begins.

    My cleaning may not be as dire as the cleanliness of the Israelites, but still necessary for life to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment