Monday, June 13, 2011

Joy

    Saturday was a day of celebration. I spent my afternoon with a great group of ladies touring wineries just north of Charlottesville, Va. We rode a minibus provided by a limousine company as we celebrated my friend Bernadette's 30th birthday. It was so much fun to ditch the kids and husbands for the day and enjoy ourselves as who we are when we take off the "Mommy/Wife Hat." Did I feel guilty? Yep, sure did…until I read today's Bible passages.

    Today's assigned readings were Psalm 30 and Leviticus 23. Psalm 30 has one of my favorite lines of the Bible. Psalm 30:5 weeping may stay for the night,
   but rejoicing comes in the morning.

I sang a song one Easter, with the choir at a previous church, called Joy in the Morning. It was a beautiful reminder that we need to celebrate God's wonder, even in tough times.

    The second passage, Leviticus 23, is all about celebrations! This is the list and brief explanation of the God ordered festival the Israelites were to celebrate. Wandering in the wilderness, escaping slavery, fighting other tribes, and other hardships were no excuse to not party!

    God wants us to celebrate His grace, love, and joy. He wants us to enjoy this life and endure the hardships, while knowing this is not our permanent home.

No comments:

Post a Comment