Sunday, July 10, 2011

Why Go To Church?

Psalm 65:8

8 The whole earth is filled with awe at your wonders;
   where morning dawns, where evening fades,
   you call forth songs of joy.

    My father-in-law and father refuse to go to church. They both had arguments with members of their churches years ago, and they don't want to go through the process again. So why do we go to church?

    As a kid, I thought we went to church because we needed a Sunday School teacher to tell us about God and the life of Jesus. Then, when I really decided that the belief in Christ was important to my life, I thought I went so the minister could teach me how to live. Just after college, I found myself getting very involved with the church. I was in the choir, I taught a Sunday School class, I helped with Bible School, and I attended a young adult group once a week. I thought church was a way of life.

    Now, I am rethinking my definition of church. My current church still meets in a high school. Weekly groups and Sunday School groups meet in people's homes. There is no Vacation Bible School. Church is now about the people. We gather each Sunday for the sole purpose to praise God. I get excited because I know I get to go sing and praise God with some great people.

    Yes, I still learn a lot from my minister. Yes, I still open my home to small groups. I still feel like a life in church is a way of life that we choose for our family. Now, though, learning about God is something I can do at home with my daily study. When at church, I no longer focus on what I get out of it, but what I can give to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment