Friday, July 1, 2011

Wealth and Good Deeds

    I read three chapters today, one in the Book of Psalms and two in the Book of Numbers. In just three short chapters I read a massive amount of information. Let's start with Psalms 49.

"People who have wealth but lack understanding are like beasts that perish." Psalm 49:20

    Greed is a horrible monster that overtakes most of us at some point. My husband is a successful salesman. He made several thousand dollars in one day this week. All of his days are not that successful, so he wanted to celebrate. He took a good deal on a condo at a beach for a week in August. Did we thank God first? No, my husband took all of the credit for his success, forgetting that God is the one who blessed him with that job in the first place. Greed overtook us.

    Then I read in Numbers that Aaron and Miriam criticized Moses for one of his wives. They didn't like her because she was a Cushite. God became angry with Aaron and Miriam, and Miriam developed leprosy. It wasn't until Moses prayed on her behalf that she was healed.

    Numbers chapter 13 was about the representatives from each tribe exploring the Promised Land. They came back with reports of the milk and honey, but didn't want to fight the current residents of that land. As a child, I remember singing a song about the 10 who said "no", and the 2 who said "go."

    In all of this jumble of information, here is the lesson I pulled out. I need to give thanks to God always for my blessings, and know that God is in charge, not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment