Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Reasons for Reading the Bible

    One of the skills I teach my students is Author's Purpose. We talk about why an author wrote the story or article. Along with that, we talk about why a reader would choose certain books and articles to read. I was thinking about that this morning when I read Numbers.

    The Book of Numbers has so many lists, it doesn't really interest me. I read the Bible to learn how I should lead my life. I don't read it to study the geography or historical facts of the time period. Today I read all about the different places the Israelites camped when wandering the wilderness. I can see why others might be interested, but I wasn't.

    I guess I had not thought about reasons for reading the Bible in the past. I hope you can read with a purpose!

No comments:

Post a Comment