Saturday, July 16, 2011

Envy!

    It is hard to not look around at others and think they have it better than we do. There is always someone at work who seems to be luckier than you. There is always someone who is a better parent than you. Other people's kids may be faster at potty training or know their ABC's earlier. Friends always have nicer, bigger houses. It is hard to push away the thoughts when you wonder what it would be like to have married THAT person instead.

    Jealousy, envy, and that uneasy, unsettled feeling can destroy your life. Psalm 73 is all about envy of others. This is how it concludes.

23 Yet I am always with you;
   you hold me by my right hand.
24 You guide me with your counsel,
   and afterward you will take me into glory.
25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
   And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
26 My flesh and my heart may fail,
   but God is the strength of my heart
   and my portion forever.

    After reading this, it is easy to see that God tells us not to be envious, because there is nothing of importance that we don't already have. We don't need to judge ourselves by earthly standards, they don't matter. If we look at our lives by God's standards, we have plenty!

No comments:

Post a Comment