Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Dealing with Criticism

    None of us like to be criticized. We quickly get very defensive if we feel like someone is attacking us. A few years ago, I read a book about how to move into the field of writing as a career. The author said that every time you read a response from a publisher, you have to put on your "superhero self." This "superhero self" will handle all the negativity and your own pride won't have to deal with it.

    I never thought I would find those words to be as true as I have with this new writing exploration I am attempting. In order to get a job, I have to find a client with a need and write a proposal that beats out everyone else's proposals. I was okay with that process. I wasn't prepared with criticism from the client and dealing with a need to make changes based on their wishes. I totally get that the product is for them, but often they have a different opinion of what sounds best than I do. I have to just accept that it has to meet their standards, not mine.

    Again this morning, I received an email from a client asking me to make a change to a project that is about two hours away from being completely finished. This will set me back a half a day. I have to try to keep the client happy, though, so I can get more work from them. I started doubting my abilities and the reasons I am doing this.

    As I dropped my son off at the sitter's house, I heard a woman on the radio who was changing careers. She was calling into the Spirit FM, the local Christian station. She said that God would not give her a tough road unless he was willing to walk down it with her. That statement made me feel a little better about this new path I am walking down.

    Then I came home and read Psalm 55. I found this verse.  22 Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you;

    Off I go to make changes and resubmit this assignment. I carry with me my superhero cape and faith that God is seeing me through these long days of typing on the computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment