Saturday, April 16, 2011

Paid What We're Worth

I have the honor of being awarded Teacher of the Year at my school this year.  The winner is chosen by a vote of the faculty and staff.  I was joking with a friend the other day that our award should be a bonus.  After I said it, I felt a little bad and thought I should just be thankful for what I earn each month instead of complaining about it.  However, tonight I read in Luke that Jesus told the 72 he commisioned to eat and drink what is offered because a worker deserves his wages. 

I like that Jesus made it clear that when we work, we deserve fair and honest pay.  We are worth the work we put in.  As long as our job doesn't go against what he asks of us, we should try to get money for our work. 

I thought about that when I was reading how Moses and Aaron did their jobs in Egypt.  God may not have provided a pay check for those men, but I'm sure the Israelites have supported them along the way.

The next time you feel guilty about asking for more money or not feeling content with your pay, remember that God thinks fair and honest pay for hard work is okay with him!

No comments:

Post a Comment