Monday, April 11, 2011

Leaving Everything Behind

Many of the stories in the Bible show people fleeing and leaving all of their family and possessions behind.  It was easier then to disappear than it is today.  We track people and can contact others a half of a world away.  They simply left in the dark of night to never return. 

In Luke, Jesus calls disciples to leave thier lives and follow him.  Levi, the tax collector, left his things sitting under a tree and took off.  This got me thinking about my life.  Does Jesus call us to leave our lives behind?  I think it depends on your life.  I think if he took inventory of my life, most things would please him.  My husband is a good man, my job is teaching chidren, we raise our son in church, we try to stay involved in church matters.  I spend time every day reading the Bible and writing this blog.  There are certainly things that God would choose for me to drop, but I don't think he wants me to leave in the dark of night to never return to my family.  Instead, I think he placed me here.

Moses is another whose life is filled with fleeing.  He is hidden as a baby, then found by Pharoah's daughter.  He kills an Egyptian and flees.  What does he find?  A wife!  But we all know that God is going to call him to leave his new life behind and return to Egypt. 

I guess what this all boils down to is that God could call us up to leave our current situation anytime he wants.  We better be prepared to follow where ever he tells us to go.  Until that day comes, we should be satisfied with the position we are in and live according his rules for our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment