Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Convincing

As a teacher, one of my biggest struggles is to motivate kids to care about the quality of their work or pay enough attention to learn what I am teaching.  I have a had time getting them to listen to what I say.  It is so frustrating to stand up and say something over and over and still feel like I am not being heard.  I imagine that is how Jesus is feeling in Luke 7.  He seems to say the same things over and over, but still needs to explain further because people just aren't getting it. 

The good news is that Jesus is willing to be so patient with us.  He rarely shows any anger.  He simply listens and tries again.  He didn't spend much time teaching before his death, but the time he spent was rigorous.  I put a lot of myself into my career, but he devoted his life to it.  I hope that I can have the same patience and concern for my kids.

Moving on to Exodus, boy did I learn something today.  There is a passage, Exodus 4:24-26 that I have never paid attention to before.  Moses has been chosen to go lead the Israelites out of Egypt.  He and his family have returned to Egypt.  On the way, God just about kills Moses for not totally obeying the laws.  One of Moses's sons was not circumsized.  His wife steps in and does it for him. 

I am glad that God holds his leaders to strict standards.  I find comfort in the fact that in order to be held in high regard with God, you must follow the rules.  That shows the character of those chosen.  However, it concerns me about how well I obey God.  I have to stop and think whether I FULLY obey his commands or if I do just enough to get by like my students often do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment