Thursday, March 10, 2011

Matthew 18 Genesis 19

Every time I woke up last night, I heard rain beating on the windows.  The heavy rain isn't over, and it makes me want to stay in my pajamas all day!  My fifth graders probably would enjoy a pajama day today as well! 

I write about children a lot, both in this blog and in my personal writings.  Today's passage in Matthew 18 hit a nerve with me.  Jesus tells his disciples that only those who humble themselves like the children will enter the Kingdom of God.  He warns us to not ever be the cause of sin for anyone, especially not our children.  We all worry about what our children are learning at school or from their friends.  This makes me think about what my son is learning from me.  Will he sin because of something I taught him?  I hope not!

Chapter 18 continues with the parable of the lost sheep.  Then Jesus tells us how to handle a situation when another has sin against us.  We are to confront them, not act as a doormat for others to run all over.  We then read the parable of the unmerciful servant and learn that we are to forgive over and over again. 

Genesis 19
What a switch!  When you move from the beautiful words of Jesus' teachings to the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, it kind of rattles the brain. 

This chapter shows quite a bit about the customs of the day.  Lot welcomes angels into his home, and has to offer his two daughters to the angry mob in order to keep the angels safe.  The daughters are not harmed because the angels inflict blindness onto the men.  Lot is able to flee with his daughters and wife, although his wife doesn't get far since she looks back and turns into a pillar of salt. 

We end this chapter with each of Lot's daughters getting him drunk so they can sneak into his bed to get pregnant.  I wanted children badly, but that is just crazy! 

The readings today were all over the map!  I hope you are able to make sense of the craziness of life today!

No comments:

Post a Comment