Monday, March 7, 2011

Matthew 15 Genesis 16

Happy Monday to everyone!
Matthew 15 is split into three stories.  In our first story, the Pharisees and teachers of the law confront Jesus by asking him why he allows his followers to eat without washing their hands.  The law of the day said that this would make them "unclean."  Jesus' reply was that it is not what you put into your mouths, but what comes out of your mouths that makes you unclean.  First of all, I believe I sound like a Pharisee in my classroom constantly telling my students to go wash their hands!  Secondly, Jesus explains that what we put into our bodies leaves our bodies.  What comes out of our mouths comes from our hearts.  This passage makes me wish I could use the Bible to teach in a public school.  I would pull out this passage each time my students said something nasty.

The second story tells the faith of a Canaanite woman.  She is a Gentile, and Jesus was ignoring her.  He told his disciples that he was only sent to save those who were Jewish.  She begs for the "crumbs," and he heals her daughter.  This section shows that Jesus' reign is not just with the descendants of David.  He came to save us all.

The final story of Matthew 15 is another miracle of feeding a massive crowd.  This time Jesus feeds 4 thousand men plus the women and children.

Genesis 16
Once again, I am glad I live in the world I live in today rather than in biblical times.  Sarai is frustrated that she can't have kids.  Abram keeps saying that God wants him to have children.  Sarai's solution is to give her servant, Hagar, to Abram to be his wife.  That would allow Abram to have children.  Let me tell you folks, that wouldn't happen in this house!  We would adopt!

Hagar wasn't too happy about it either.  She ran away.  An angel come to her and told her to return.  He also told her that her son would have a terrible life of always being against others.  This doesn't sound like cheery encounter with an angel to me!  Regardless, Hagar returns and Ishmael was born.

No comments:

Post a Comment