Friday, March 18, 2011

Courage in the Darkness

None of us like to hurt.  None of us enjoy true fear.  Jesus, in Matthew 26, was no exception.  He prayed for God to lift his burden.  He wanted to change the plan for his life.  He didn't want to be crucified. 

How often do we pray for God to help us when we are walking through difficult times?  It isn't often that we see what is to come.  When I think of the hardests times of my life, I didn't know what was in store for me beforehand.  I only realized it in the middle of the storm.  I only needed courage to come out on the other side. 

Jesus was able to see what pain and suffering he would endure.  Despite his prayers for help and his fear of the future, he mustered the strength and courage to move forward.  He didn't call down legions of angels or crawl under a rock and hide.  He faced what was meant for his life. 

So how do we find the courage we need to lead us through the darkness in our lives?  We trust that God is in control.  That doesn't mean we won't hurt.  It doesn't even mean we will survive!  It means that we can trust that when all is said and done, when the clouds lift, we will eventually be in heaven with Jesus.  That is a hard pill to swallow, especially if you are facing cancer or watching your child suffer.  Let God take control and trust that in the end, the darkness will disappear. 

When we look into Genesis chapter 27, we see others stuggling to understand their future.  Jacob deceives Isaac and takes his blessing intended for Esau.  I don't understand why a father cannot bless two sons, but Isaac wouldn't bless Esau later.  Despite the blessing, Jacob has to flee his brother's retaliation.  At first glance, you would think that Rebekah should be punished for the deception, but she was carrying out God's plan as well. It was predicted early on, back during her pregnancy, that Esau would serve Jacob.  I said this the other day, and I will say it again!  I am glad that my son is an only child when I read stories like this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment