Saturday, March 12, 2011

The beginning of Christ's long journey/Birth of Isaac

Good morning,
As I began to type, I realized that my clock on my laptop has already changed over for the time change tonight.  It makes me sad to see an hour disappear.  I started thinking about which hour of my day I should delete.  I think I'll choose an hour of cleaning. 

Today's passage in Matthew is chapter 20.  The Resurrection is chapter 28.  In a little over a week, we will finish Matthew.  I remember feeling terribly depressed when I got to this part of the Bible because you know you are about to read the horrific story of the crucifixion and all of Jesus's sufferings leading up to it.  I will try to not be too depressing when I blog!

The parable of the workers in the vineyard is a tough one.  A man hires workers, promising to pay them a denarius.  A few hours later, he hires more.  A little after that, he hires more.  Throughout the day, he continues to hire more until the hour before quitting time.  When the day was done, he paid the last hired first.  They received the same pay as those who worked a full day.  The first hired complained and were told that all would receive the same.  The owner told them to not be upset with his generosity to others. 

It is hard when you feel mistreated.  I would be upset too.  I get mad when others that I work with are rewarded equally when I know I worked harder than they did.  There is a big discussion out there to pay teachers based on performance.  It isn't a terrible idea!  I don't think it would work well, but I see why some want it.  When you apply this to Jesus's message, he tells us that the last will be first and the first will be last.  I get that those of us who humble ourselves will receive more in heaven.  But it is still hard!

Genesis 21
Isaac is born, giving great joy to his parents!  The only issue now seems to be Hagar and Ishmael.  Sarah wants them gone.  She should have seen that coming!  Abraham is upset because Ishmael is his son, afterall.  God tells him not to worry.  Ishmael will be fine. 

Hagar and Ismael go out and struggle in the desert.  God steps in and saves them again. 

Abraham also makes a pact with Abimelech that they won't fight. He knows Abraham is powerful. 

Enjoy your day.  Choose wisely which hour you delete!

No comments:

Post a Comment