Sunday, March 13, 2011

Looking for inspiration

I hope the time change didn't mess anyone up too badly!  Our house has survived the loss of an hour, but the true test will come in the morning.  Will Devon get up?  Or will he fight me when I tell him he has to get dressed and go to the sitter's house?

This week I have been in search of inspiration.  I've been looking for ideas or people who can motivate me to do the mundane, ordinary routine.  I've searched blogs and found several that I have fallen in love with. 
When I sat down this afternoon to do my Bible reading and write the blog, I kept feeling pulled to return to someone else's blog, to read their life.  Time called me back to my own work.  I want to begin this week by being present in my own life.  I want to focus on those in my home, not those on tv or on the internet.  My energy and time needs to be devoted to the jobs God has placed before me, wife, mother, and teacher.  I encourage you to do the same.

Matthew 21 echoes this idea.  Jesus returns to Jerusalem.  He over throws the temple because of the buyers and sellers who were there.  He diligently, parable after parable, tried to explain to the disciples that only the strictest of devotion to him and God will allow them entry into the gates of Heaven.  He knows the end of his time on earth is near.  I imagine he was feeling under pressure to accomplish all he came to do before the deadline.  He had to focus his eyes on his goal.  He teaches in parables, but strives for his disciples to understand their meaning.  He wants his family, the nation of Israel, to devote their time, energy, and focus to God.  Otherwise, the kingdom of God will be given to the Gentiles. 

In Genesis 22, Abraham is also tested by his faith. He nearly sacrificed his own son because God spoke to him and told him to do so.  Just before he killed Isaac, God stopped Abraham and sent a ram to be sacrificed instead.  I would like to know how traumatized Isaac was by this.  He was old enough to ask where the lamb was, so he was old enough to understand what was going on!  I bet when Abraham returned home, his focus remained on God and God's will for his life.

This week, let's stay focused!

No comments:

Post a Comment