Saturday, September 10, 2011

Retrain Out Tongues

Let's face it. Many people at work like to gossip. It is easy to get caught up in the news, especially when the passing word is who is engaged or who is having a baby. Having inside information makes us feel powerful. Sometimes, when we know the dirty details of the lives of others, we feel better about ourselves.

The Bible clearly tells us to not spread words of malice about others. Our mothers were right when they told us, "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all."

I catch myself complaining to my friends I work with. I am not trying to be mean to others, but I know when I complain I say ugly things. I hope to change this situation by retraining my tongue to only spread joy and hope to others, not gloom and anger.

Jessica is a fifth grade teacher and beginning freelance writer. She is the wife-extraordinaire to Josh and mother of two year old Devon. When she isn't teaching, mothering, cooking, cleaning, or writing, you can find her locked in a quiet room reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment