Thursday, August 18, 2011

Seeing the Big Picture

    We have a shelf beside our door that has a curtain to hide its contents. We use it for our shoes. About four days ago, my husband made a huge mess of it. Shoes are falling off into the floor now. It is difficult to walk into the room, because you have to dodge shoes. I asked him to clean it up. They are still there.

    Often I feel like my husband is lazy. He chooses to play video games rather than help with housework. He sees me cleaning and thinks nothing of watching while lying on the couch. It makes me so mad! If he were my kid, I would punish him. Because he is an adult, I don't know how to handle it.

    Last night, I went to bed early. He got home late from work and had not eaten dinner yet. All of the dishes were loaded into the dishwasher except his. I asked him to load them and run the dishwasher. He promised he would.

    Around 1:00am, my son was up and needed something to drink. I ran into the kitchen and saw the dishwasher open. Not only did he not run it, he left it open all night.

    I was so mad! I went back to bed and worried that I was too mad to sleep. I prayed to God and told Him that this was now His problem to fix. I had had enough. I asked God to take the anger and let me sleep.

    The next thing I knew, I was waking up from a really bad, but seemingly real, dream. I found great comfort in waking awful hours and travels for work. He is a fantastic father and a great husband. He is lousy at housework. With the good, I get the bad. If I am to have such a wonderful, blessed life that I have, I might just have to put up with shoes on my living room floor, or pick them up myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment