Monday, August 15, 2011

Remembering the Blessings

    I've written exclusively about my friend Brent lately. Yesterday afternoon, my minister visited our home to talk to my husband and me about Brent's death and how it has affected us. He made a few points that I had not thought of yet. One of those was to remember how blessed I am to have known Brent. That sounds odd after his death, but I am so blessed to be a part of that family. We are not blood relation, but walked into the funeral with the family. I hurt because I loved him, and that is a blessing.

    Psalms 95-96 are all about lifting our voices to sing God's praises. I don't know why God called Brent home, leaving behind a 2 year old to grow up without her daddy. It is hard to praise God for that. However, it is easy to praise God that Brent was able to give the world his daughter before he left. She has a lot of her daddy in her, and his spirit will carry on here on earth through her.

    Deuteronomy 11 explains, again, the need to teach your children that our God is the only God. We must teach our children to obey His commands and praise Him. I hope that my son can see his father and me turn toward God in times of trouble, instead of turning away.

    Today I go back to work after summer vacation. I pray all teachers are calm and at peace as they return to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment