Monday, November 28, 2011

The Difference in a Week

Tuesday night, not too long after my last post, a first grader from my school was taken off life support. The doctors told his mother there wasn't much else they could do for her little boy.

While many of us celebrated our Thanksgiving meals, she sat with her family missing her youngest son.

Yesterday in church, a family spoke to us about their upcoming mission to West Africa. They are asking for money so they can afford to move there permenantly.

I sat in my seat and asked God if there was something I was missing. My life is comfortable, but I came to church yesterday angry with my husband. I was feeling sorry for myself and the burdens placed on me. The answer from God was clear. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and make something of this life.

When my husband got home from work, I tried to talk to him about what happened at church, but he didn't want to talk. He wanted to sleep on the couch and nurse his cold.

My journey through the Bible in two years will take me more than two years. That is obvious now. In fact, this journey may be taking me for a ride throughout the rest of my life.

I have decided upon a local mission to devote some energy to. A local shelter runs a thrift store. All proceeds benefit the shelter and residents can shop with vouchers given by the shelter. I am cleaning house and delivering a load to the thrift shop.

I also am interested in helping by either shopping or volunteering there. I just don't know how to make it work yet.

I have decided that I have a bigger purpose than my everyday life. I need to get up from my comfortable "woe is me" place and move. Will I go to West Africa? I don't know! But I WILL do something!

Jessica is a fifth grade teacher and beginning freelance writer. She is the wife-extraordinaire to Josh and mother of two year old Devon. When she isn't teaching, mothering, cooking, cleaning, or writing, you can find her locked in a quiet room reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment