Saturday, February 26, 2011

Genesis 6 and Matthew 6

To all of you busy people out there who are actually reading my ramblings, I hope you are reaping the benefits of a daily Bible study. 

So in this chapter I totally have an answer to my question yesterday.  6:3 Then the Lord said, "My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal, his days will be a hundred and twenty years."  Now, I don't know many people who have lived that long, but at least it sounds a bit more like what we have these days as our life expectancy.

This chapter made me sad.  God regretted creating mankind.  Other than Noah, he felt the need to destroy everyone and everything that was so beautiful about his creation. 

We end with the order and building of the ark.

Matthew 6

We continue with Jesus' message from yesterday.  The list of how we should live our lives continues.  We see Jesus ordering those who would listen to give to the needy, but not so everyone could see them.  We are to pray, but not just so others can hear us and think we are something special.  Jesus teaches the Lord's Prayer so we all can pray directly to God the Father without needing intercession from others.  Then we get to fasting.  Has anyone out there fasted?  I have not, but am curious about it.

Jesus also tells us to NOT store up treasures on earth and to not worry.  If I didn't try to store up treasures of money in my savings account, I wouldn't worry nearly as much.  That is a touchy subject though, isn't it?  We know that we much prepare for the future, for our sake and for our children.  But Jesus tells us that tomorrow will worry about tomorrow.  I approach issues like this with balance.  I store money, but try not to obsess about it!

I'd love to hear other's thoughts on that issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment